Error in "Add Local LB Pool Member" Activity

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I created an Issue for this, but thought I should post it here in case notification from the Issues section wasn't working right. Overall we are happy this pack exists, would love to see more functionality added to it. This bug in particular though is causing some automation issues...

--------------

When we use the 'Add Local LB Pool Member' activity we can successfully add a member to a pool using a 'Pool Member' name of the ip address plus port (i.e. 192.168.1.1:443). But, instead of a success message we get an error back every time regarding deserialization of what looks like the response from the load balancer. Here is the error:

There is an error in XML document (252, 79).

Exception: InvalidOperationException
Target site: XmlSerializer.Deserialize

Stack trace:
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at iControl.LocalLBPoolMember.get_statistics(String[] pool_names, CommonIPPortDefinition[][] members)
at OchestratorF5.F5Interface.GetLBPoolMemberActiveConnections(String poolName, String member)
at OchestratorF5.F5Interface.GetLBPoolMember(String poolName, String poolMember)
at OchestratorF5.AddLocalLBPoolMember.Execute(IActivityRequest request, IActivityResponse response)

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM

We are seeing the exact same behavior with the "Set Local LB Pool Member Status" object as well.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:29 AM
Edited Jul 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM

For what it's worth, the "Set Local LB Member Status" object allows actual names instead of IP addresses (if your node is set up that way) and works without error if done that way. However, you can't add a member to a pool using name, that only appears to work with IP addresses. That seems to be an issue with iControl itself. If we could get the XML document error resolved that would be fantastic as it would make automation easier. We'd have to use IP addresses for names, but iControl seems to be the culprit there.

The Powershell interface for iControl seems to work fine "using IP addresses, not names) and doesn't return this error, so that's a workaround I guess.

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Jerry

Thanks for the details, I have also reproduced the issue, it looks to have been due to an older iControl interface and a newer LTM software version. this evening i uploaded the very latest code to the repository, and have bound the latest 11.0.2 iControl also to this.. If you like you can download and compile; or ping me and ill send you an OIP. I have not posted a new one yet, as i want to runa few more changes; but the code posted will compile and work :)

thx

Damian

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Thanks Damian, let me know when you get the new IP posted and I will give it a shot!

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:40 PM
I'm running into this issue as well. The error is "There is an error in XML document (226, 74)". An update would great!

Damian, do you have the updated OIP file you can share?